After living in Dominican Republic for 18 years and getting my career started in the Spanish Caribbean, it was a challenge to set my head back into my native English and be proficient at it, when reporting became part of the equation. Editor Karen Pennar with Voices of NY gave me the opportunity to put my voice out in both languages. A win-win for us.
I translated two print stories for her -one of my own-, and published an original video in which I worked with Spanish-Language colleague Maritza Villela. Karen helped me recognize the different approach one must have, when reporting and writing for English speaking audience. We worked on the following:
- Voices of NY, Translations: SI Workers’ Cooperative to Open Child Care Center.
- Voices of NY, Translations: Latin American Art Biennial in the Bronx.
- Voices of NY, Society: Last Christmas for a Senior Center?
Editor’s Note: This post was last updated in February, 2017, to include media publications where one of these stories were mentioned or covered:
- The Uptown Collective: Last Christmas for a Senior Center?
- DNAInfo – Methodist Church Poised to Boot Senior Center From Location After 40 Years