After I arrived from DR in April, 2015, one of my first job opportunities was as a line producer for a web series project in NYC. It happened thanks to Renato Brea, my college Film Professor from Santiago. And together with actor and poet Francis Mateo, we worked on a six month series published on YouTube about the Dominican diaspora in Northern Manhattan.
I was a non-traditional way of getting to know my fellow Dominicans from the hood. And a challenge for me, as a New Yorker that had left the city for so long. But, it turned out to be grassroots project that engaged with the community. I met others in the filming industry, I managed a crew of about eight members and produced the pilot season for the web series.
We launched the project with an explainer. And the premiere was on September 24, 2015. Here’s the pilot for El Alto:
Episodes for the cultural project El Alto:
- (01/01) – No hay orgullo en ser pobre
- (01/02) – Mi chopa interna
- (01/03) – Hay un país en el mundo
- (01/04) – En Boca Chica solo se moja
- (01/05) – A Bowl of Habichuela con Dulce
- (01/06) – De un teléfono público
- (01/07) – The Dream Is Always The Same
- (01/08) – Memorias vagas
- (01/09) – Si yo fuera un chicharrón
- (01/10) – No todo está perdido